Sunday, May 6, 2012

Tax number, style guide, and cat


That's my cat, Shadow, watching me work. More about him later...

After doing more research on the IRS and CreateSpace websites, I found that I don't need to get an EIN (Employer ID Number). My social security number will do just fine for CreateSpace to report my earnings with. (Earnings! Earnings? Yipes, earnings...) So that's that, although it looks pretty easy to get an EIN online through irs.gov if I ever need one.

My main writing project this week was completing my Just Like Magic style guide (or encyclopedia, as I called my file). This list of all names, places, events, times, things, dogs, and dresses in my novel has already come in handy, too. I discovered in chapter eight that I had already named my heroine's father something different in chapter one. (Is he Charles or Thomas? Make up your mind, Beth! Okay, he's Charles.) Consistency! I love it, I need it, I want it.

This style guide will also come in handy for the sequel. Oh, yes, there's a sequel. I have several chapters written, and I like the beginning, but what I need to do is figure out the entire PLOT before I do any more writing. But first things first--and that's publishing Just Like Magic.

And lastly, Shadow demonstrates his basic understanding of writing and computers.


Namely, he hasn't got any.

"Mouse? Why do you have a mouse? I will nudge your hand so you will forget about faux mice and pay attention to me me me.


"You didn't really need that hand for anything right now, did you? I will settle down right here."

Love you too, Shadow.

2 comments:

  1. I love the new color scheme. And that silly cat.

    As for the sequel, do you use a certain format when outlining the plot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really. For book #1, the first few pages I wrote were a crucial scene in the middle of the book, and I think I continued to write here and there at whim as certain scenes became clearer to me. On the other hand, I had the basic plot already, because it was a Cinderella story. And at some point I just had to sit down and connect the dots.

    For the sequel, I started writing at the beginning and pretty much kept writing straight (although I have written the last couple of pages). The problem happens in the middle; I hit a certain point and I'm not sure how the narrative arc for my heroine is going to go. I've tried a couple of ways and been unsatisfied with both. Maybe I just need to write a scene totally out of order, just to get me going again.

    ReplyDelete