Sunday, June 17, 2012

A few more steps...

This week's recap:

1) I searched online for more possible cover photos, free and not free. I didn't find any I liked better than my current favorite.

2) I played with cover layout.

3) I printed out my front material and back material, along with the first few pages of the first chapter and the last pages of the final chapter. (It printed out on regular 8.5"x11" paper and I trimmed it to my trim size of 5.25"x8".) Interesting to see it in print form. I find it easier to see certain layout discrepancies such as the type on my "Dedication" page starts much lower than the type on my "Contents" page which directly follows it. Gotta fix that, because it looks odd on paper although it didn't on the screen. I also found myself editing in the chapter pages I had printed--not grammar/punctuation stuff, but actual rewriting--which tells me that I might find a lot to revise in my first proof copy. I hope I'm wrong, and the problems I found are just remnants of my old problems with the beginning of chapter one... sigh.

Regarding my ISBN question from a few weeks ago: I'm 90% sure I'm going with "option 1" for my ISBN (free, but I don't get to use my own imprint).

This week, I have a new program to use for cover layout (thanks, friend!). We shall see how PageMaker 7.0 and I get along. I would also absolutely love to be able to say in my next post that  my interior file is uploaded. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment