Sunday, August 26, 2012

Goal accomplished

Last week, I said I wanted to transfer what I had written of the sequel into a CreateSpace template and work on it for half an hour every weekday morning.

Mission accomplished!

Yes, I had to get up half an hour earlier each morning. Surprisingly, that wasn't hard to do. (5 a.m. isn't that different from 5:30 a.m.) And I was right about it being easier to write in the morning. I had no trouble writing.

Admittedly, it wasn't first draft writing, it was revising the first few chapters to add elements that I'll need later in the book. But there was a little bit of new stuff, adding those elements. Eventually I'll be ready to tackle writing wholly new chapters.

I have some chapters written that I won't be able to use (because I was heading the plot in a different direction), but I was surprised to find sections in those chapters that I will be able to use. One paragraph made me laugh out loud, which is great, because if it your own writing doesn't make you laugh, why should anyone else laugh? I always want my writing to have... sparkle, life. If it just sits there and goes thud, it's time to get rid of it or revise it. Whether I succeed at that or not is for others to judge, too, but at the very least, I need to like it.

This coming week: 1) I hope to get the proof copy back so I can pass it on to my next reader, and 2) I'll keep working on the sequel.

See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment