Saturday, July 13, 2013

Published and Available in Kindle Format!


Yes, as you can see, you can now purchase the Kindle version of Just Like Magic!

And if you don't have a Kindle, well, Amazon doesn't want to leave you out. They have free apps that will allow you to read Kindle books on lots of devices including Windows and Mac computers and many smaller devices, too. (Probably not a NOOK. ;) )

In the end, I didn't use Sigil or Calibre. I just kept testing my uploaded MS Word file on the Kindle Previewer, and, eventually, on the Kindle app I downloaded for my iMac. Then when I found formatting errors, I'd tweak it and reload. The main problems were in the formatting of the front and back materials as well as the chapter headings - things not being centered, mainly. I also learned that I needed to remove the table from the table of contents. And I found that putting the bookmarks for the chapters one row ABOVE the chapter numbers made the chapters look better when using the table of contents. I also had to switch all the italics in the book from a specific italic font to using the "italics" button. (Oh, and I changed the font to Times New Roman.) The main thing I learned, though, is that the file needs to be super clean.

Eventually, everything looked good!

And you can now read it for yourself and see. If you do find any formatting oddities that I missed, let me know in the comments here and I'll see what I can do.

I have signed up for KDP select, which means that for 90 days the book is available only through Amazon, and also that I can pick 5 days during that period of time for free promotionals, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment